Live Updates

We are currently updating our website to the latest IPB version - please be patient whilst we update the A'therys theme to work with this.  Some areas of our website may look distorted, please don't panic, this will be rectified.

Sellt

Sellt’s Diary 03/30/2017

• Owner

Hello Atherys!

So, finally we got 1.11 out! Sever seems a lot more stable, but can’t say for 100% certain until we had a bigger fight. But the timings are better and server starts in about half the time it did in the past. We also tried to run around spaming skills and whatnot and it looked good.

Right now the two new animals (polar bears and llamas) are not obtainable but we are about to add them to the Admin store for the same price as horses.

Econ Bug

Ok, this is a weird one. On the test server this was solved and for the few first days after we upgraded the main server it did work too. But it looks like its back since at least yesterday. The Tech Admins are on it and should have a solution soon. My apologies for the circumstances.

Conquest & New Capital

Man, I’m looking forward to this weekend. The addition of Conquest AND as its planned atm, the opening of the new Capital. I hope you all can come and have some fun!

Nether Island

And then its only one more week till we most likely get the nether island with all the new resources. As far as I can see the build team (the same that did the new capital) is working on finishing it and what I saw looks really good. And let this be the first warning: The Nether Island will be deadly.

Correction: The overland part is planned for in one week. The Nether part a bit later (more to do there). I was slightly misinformed. Sorry.

What comes after

I can promise you right now that we will be still around in 1 year (and most likely way beyond that). What that means will be revealed in the next few weeks/months. But don’t worry. We are working on a future for our beloved server.

Sellt’s Kitchen

Uiuiui… I’m here at work writing this diary entry and I have all my notes and recipes at home. So for this week you will need to survive without a new one. I’m sorry.

• Like 7

Is this hinting at a rebranding of the server?

All I can say is that A'therys with its outstanding builds, this well-designed site, comprehensive lore and now conquest soon is the most polished it's ever been imo.

Edited by Eojinn
1 hour ago, Eojinn said:

All I can say is that A'therys with its outstanding builds, this well-designed site, comprehensive lore and now conquest soon is the most polished it's ever been imo.

Mapwipe confirmed?

• Like 1
  • Owner
7 hours ago, Cam said:

Great, now I don't know what to make for dinner :(

i'm so sorry :D

11 hours ago, Eojinn said:

thank you. 

11 hours ago, Eojinn said:

what do you mean with rebranding?

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Sellt said:

what do you mean with rebranding?

You asked, and so you shall receive in plenty.

18 hours ago, Sellt said:

I can promise you right now that we will be still around in 1 year (and most likely way beyond that). What that means will be revealed in the next few weeks/months. But don’t worry. We are working on a future for our beloved server.

It was in reference to this last part. 

You say a future for the server is being worked on, and why it will be here in one years time will be revealed. This hints at a change of how things are currently. I got curious and probably took things a tad too literal. I've been here for many years, and times change, but I've never seen this few active within the community or server. Logic dictates that a change of course is needed. 

You can do a plethora of things in A'therys, and to a newcomer it's pretty overwhelming. Personally I see Atherys as maybe an MMO type of deal, but it seems, from the latest figures of people playing, it needs a shift to be competitive on the minecraft scene. That being said this server was always unique, and quite niche as well, which could also be the issue, as it's not as easily definable as the regular prison, skyblock, factions run-of-the-mill server seen elsewhere. So having a clear definition that's relatable, would in my mind, require it to be branded/marketed in a new manner.

Can the general player answer the question 'What is A'therys Ascended?' in a simple manner... I know I can't. It's relative and not a set thing for everyone. Saying an openworld survival PVP/RPG/Build server doesn't explain much either, as it's pretty much everything in the book. And even so, people usually seek one of the three things and go for a server dedicated to that exact thing. I reckon minigames (not counting gazamogames lol) servers are still so popular, because you get instant gratification from a short input of time. Building a town takes time and it took time for PVPers to get into a quick fight, despite the arena, which didn't deliver the same thrill as ganking ByTheBurnside. This is where Conquest hopefully enters and delivers. The town thing is unavoidable without a place for creative building, however that disrupts the survival aspect.

With the openworld and freedom that A'therys delivers, the MMO genre is what resembles it the most. The quest lines during the winter holiday event were excellent, and super refined, despite being ol' fetch quests. Having that aspect incorporated into the server, but based on the A'therian lore would reestablish this statement.

It's also undeniable, that to get into the world of A'therys you need to be invited into a town of possibly established players - as it stands now. With fewer on, finding such a town is tough, which is where the race is lost before it even starts. Can a new spawn solve that? History has deemed that's not exactly the case, but it did improve with every iteration. Hopefully the latest one will enlighten, and not confuse. There are new players joining, that was always proven. But as soon as they enter they ask 'What do I do now, I'm a newbie dewbie?'. People need more handholding in the opening phase. A solution I wouldn't mind, if I was a new player, was a town that was always accessible, not the capital, and slightly prebuilt. Maybe it's ran by a group of npc's that guide you? People go to that town to recruit, why not. One could even say: 'Hey you! Yes you! There's a scoundrel wreaking havoc in the mountains killing our precious sheep. Hunt him down!' accompanied with minute to minute updates on ByTheBurnside's coordinates.

I was always more of a bystander enjoying the ride, so take this with a grain of salt. I hope I explained my reasoning somewhat though.

TLDR:

Spoiler

giphy.gifgiphy.gif

• Like 4