Live Updates

We are currently updating our website to the latest IPB version - please be patient whilst we update the A'therys theme to work with this.  Some areas of our website may look distorted, please don't panic, this will be rectified.

Sellt

Sellt’s Diary 07/06/2017

Optional RP-Combat System for 1v1 fights?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Optional RP-Combat System for 1v1 fights?

• Yes
    • No

• Owner

Hi Atherys!

RP-PVP

I was contacted by some pure RPers that brought up a concern about how to handle RP fights between 2 people (1v1) in a non-combat zone (Capital or no-pvp towns or other zones). And so I am interested to see if there are actually enough people with the same concern that would like to play on Horizons. The basic idea would be to have an established system for RP-PVP for 1v1 situation which would be totally optional (so both players would need to agree to use it) and it wouldn’t be enforced by staff (would be just too much drama).

To make this clear and simple:

100% optional, non-enforced RP-PVP System. Only benefit would be that people who want to use such a system don’t need to come up with it for themselves on the spot and just can use this system.

AtherysTown

Last Staff-Meeting the team got a chance to experience Headhunters Town plugin and wow, it’s just great. It’s a lot sleeker than towny (none of that stuff we never used) and got a few more features that really add to the convenience of using it. I don’t want to go into much details at the moment (still some work to do) but you will get a bigger article about how our new town plugin will work soon.

Quests

Our Quest-team has now been formed and are starting to develop the story lines which you will be able to explore. We have also selected a mod for the quests plus some additional stuff (NPC’s mainly) to be able to give you immersive and fun quests. And if you have a great story laying around that would make a good Quest send it to @Dani. Maybe the Quest-team can use it!

AtherysMods

We still work on a mount mod for Horizons but ran into some problems (mostly me personally :D). So maybe one of the readers here has experience with mod compiling for forge. If so I would love to pick your brain to get some problems out of the way.

Coders

I’m happy to say that we got one more coder to the team. But yeah we still could use some more :D

-Sellt

• Like 11
6 hours ago, Gauth Ironstaff said:

Not sure why there seem to be so many against RP duels right now (4 on each side) - it doesn't negatively affect the regular PvPers and could make RP that much more fun...

If you want to PvP you can do it the real way - not some sissy "hiding behind my mom's skirt" stuff.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, HaedHutner said:

"Look at me, I'm a big tough PvPer who thinks all RPers are wimps"

This meme needs to end.

I mean you're not wrong, but the other way around needed to stop too.

But, don't get me wrong - I like lore, I like RPers and I like all the stuff associated with it - but it plagues me that some people what to be alienated to only one archetype on the server and not touch any others. I think staff should push people more to enjoy every single archetype of the server - not just allow them to stay hoddled in the RP archetype. I've enjoyed A'therys for so long only due to the reason that I HAVE played and enjoyed every archetype and role associated with the server, meaning, I've been a mayor, been a salesman, took part in running governments, and yes, I have RPed in events and just casually.

I mean, yes, there's always going to be that one archetype that people favor more than others, but travelling and enjoying other archetypes of the server should be a requirement of the server - kind of how PvP and Merchanting or Building and Merchanting are both necessary to enjoy an archetype completely.

I don't know what you guys are gonna end up doing - but, something to circumvent an entire archetype of the server just for RPers sounds like bullshit. 

Edited by Destruct
  • Like 5
3 hours ago, Destruct said:

I mean you're not wrong, but the other way around needed to stop too.

But, don't get me wrong - I like lore, I like RPers and I like all the stuff associated with it - but it plagues me that some people what to be alienated to only one archetype on the server and not touch any others. I think staff should push people more to enjoy every single archetype of the server - not just allow them to stay hoddled in the RP archetype. I've enjoyed A'therys for so long only due to the reason that I HAVE played and enjoyed every archetype and role associated with the server, meaning, I've been a mayor, been a salesman, took part in running governments, and yes, I have RPed in events and just casually.

I mean, yes, there's always going to be that one archetype that people favor more than others, but travelling and enjoying other archetypes of the server should be a requirement of the server - kind of how PvP and Merchanting or Building and Merchanting are both necessary to enjoy an archetype completely.

I don't know what you guys are gonna end up doing - but, something to circumvent an entire archetype of the server just for RPers sounds like bullshit. 

I agree with you. Though your initial reply contradicts your point entirely. The "Look at me, I'm a big tough PvPer who thinks RPers are wimps" is just as much of a meme as "Look at me, I'm a speshul RPer who deserves a speshul PvP system". Both of these are memes, both of these need to end.

And if someone, on either side, doesn't stop proliferating these memes, then they won't end anytime soon, will they? And your initial reply did just that. It was immature and counter-productive to your cause to say the least. 

The way all this gets resolved is by both sides trying to be more mature than the other. Not the other way around.

• Like 2

@Destruct  Problem is, PvP is not for everyone, contrary to what you believe.

Not everyone is a soldier, because that is more of a profession.  It takes natural talent and a desire to be better than the competition.  Same goes for rp, not everyone is a writer/story-teller, some people see this merely as a game and find fun in just building, pvping, or even just exploring; lore can be boring for some people who prefer more tangible aspects.  Yes, people need towns and places to call home, but they do not need to necessarily build their own, that's why we have always had pre-built capitols.  As for the economy, that is different because we all must buy, sell, and/or contribute to it in some way, though developing businesses is a profession of its own.

I understand asking people to try out something they may have never done before, but let's be honest here. . .I don't think a single RPer here can say they never tried PvP.  If they choose RP it's either because they enjoy it more, or are better at it than PvP.  Most of us have been here long enough to know our own tastes.  That said: new plugin, new PvP. . .perhaps some will give it a try again for Horizons.

• Like 4

For those who enjoy the idea of describing each action, rather than swinging it out : this gives a good option for expanding your story..

For those who would rather Duke it out in the field of combat with the new skills and combat plugins, then they can ignore this. That's why it's an OPTIONAL rule.

It's the same as arenas. Yes they gave you limited class-based gear on spawn in rather than what you carry, but some people like the 1 v 1 arena duels better than PvP in the open field. It's a matter of preference and giving people different options to explore. 

• Like 4

IN my off time from Atherys I have ran across several servers who use RP-PVP successfully and I have to say the system works well! There is in fact a rolling system plugin or mod for these types of things @Sellt so implementation would be easy. I approve. Id really like to see this added.

``

On 7/7/2017 at 6:22 PM, lnShane said:

Not everyone is a soldier, because that is more of a profession.  It takes natural talent and a desire to be better than the competition.  Same goes for rp, not everyone is a writer/story-teller, some people see this merely as a game and find fun in just building, pvping, or even just exploring; lore can be boring for some people who prefer more tangible aspects.  Yes, people need towns and places to call home, but they do not need to necessarily build their own, that's why we have always had pre-built capitols.  As for the economy, that is different because we all must buy, sell, and/or contribute to it in some way, though developing businesses is a profession of its own.

I understand asking people to try out something they may have never done before, but let's be honest here. . .I don't think a single RPer here can say they never tried PvP.  If they choose RP it's either because they enjoy it more, or are better at it than PvP.  Most of us have been here long enough to know our own tastes.  That said: new plugin, new PvP. . .perhaps some will give it a try again for Horizons.

Dang I do enjoy walking across blocks of sand located in Ar-Selukk. It was lit dude. Three hours counting the sand blocks around has never sounded more appealing.

Edited by DarkAtlantean
23 hours ago, Sund_Wixius said:

Yep some people are born to become minecraft pvpers:S

I mean its true, I was born under the sign of Sagittarius rex  meaning I was born to become to best Minecraft PvPer in the world.

On 7/6/2017 at 5:21 PM, Dan The Derp said:

*strokes @Velkas' thighs

See if we had this wonderful system at that even we could have been able to take our rp to the next level and roll to do certain things to my daddy boi velkas.

On 7/7/2017 at 5:46 AM, HaedHutner said:

"Look at me, I'm a big tough PvPer who thinks all RPers are wimps"

This meme needs to end.

I personally don't think its a meme and something that RPers just think, I personally don't hate people just because they don't like PvP, in fact I'm friends with quite a few people on Atherys who usually don't PvP (Destruct, Carolina, Quayley, Gamma, MY BOI AIDEN <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 and my wonderful main man Jrr)

On 7/7/2017 at 0:55 PM, HaedHutner said:

I agree with you. Though your initial reply contradicts your point entirely. The "Look at me, I'm a big tough PvPer who thinks RPers are wimps" is just as much of a meme as "Look at me, I'm a speshul RPer who deserves a speshul PvP system". Both of these are memes, both of these need to end.

And if someone, on either side, doesn't stop proliferating these memes, then they won't end anytime soon, will they? And your initial reply did just that. It was immature and counter-productive to your cause to say the least. 

The way all this gets resolved is by both sides trying to be more mature than the other. Not the other way around.

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything here, but I was msged about the PvP system for Horizons and a certain someone did (of course on behalf of the head of our wonderful Rubious Lanterns) demand we do make a special PvP and Class system just for them soooo.....

On 7/7/2017 at 6:22 PM, lnShane said:

I personally feel like a lot of RPers have not tried PvP , and what they consider trying PvP is more along the lines of just calling a mod when someone shows up to PvP.

11 hours ago, jrr5556 said:

i rp everyday and i agree we should eradicate pvp altogether! who is with me?

@JupiterRome

Lets host an RP rogue 1v1 tourney round robin quadruple double team elimination style fiend.

• Like 3
On 7/7/2017 at 0:55 PM, HaedHutner said:

Those are fighting words! *Pulls out 209348475807384283974237894237923 sided die*

Edited by DarkAtlantean

I voted no before I read the suggestion but this could be legit. It could be a way to help deal with RP conflicts in no-PvP zones if there are any. Other than that, it could help handle physical matters that can't be handled by the PvP plugin like literally stabbing a dude in the kidneys.

Honestly, this doesn't detract from PVP at all. The argument that it alienates RPers from other archetype players is an inept argument because they wouldn't PVP anyways if they didn't want to. It should be up to the player how he/she plays and I believe this RP PVP plugin idea is a great expansion that hardly has any detraction. I myself have enjoyed both fields of PVP and RP, and @HaedHutner is completely right the idea of absolute control of how players play the server is not an effective or fun way to treat players.

On 7/7/2017 at 9:55 AM, HaedHutner said:

I dont think you realize what type of people play minecraft (and specifically what type of people play minecraft RP/PvP servers)....

You aren't going to find many mature players in the wider audience. It's literally 17-20 year olds who are too socially inept to spend their time outside instead of on Reddit or Minecraft. I'd know, I was one of them for a few years. And if they aren't socially inept, they're too braindead to see that sitting at a computer playing MC for a few hours every day isn't a productive way to spend free time.

You will occasionally find a semi-mature 30 year old man RP'ing as a female anime character or the uber rare married men/non-neckbeards like johndcastro or alex wright or mercymike but thsoe people aren't enough to populate this server

I know this may sound controversial but Kainzo is smart in this regard: he knows what sort of people play MC (teenagers/young adults who want to have easily accessible fun with minimal extra effort). that's why his servers are always populated.

tldr; if you want to make this change, do it lol its your server...it just doesn't sound like you know who you're marketing this thing to 

Edited by willbuilds
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, willbuilds said:

I dont think you realize what type of people play minecraft (and specifically what type of people play minecraft RP/PvP servers)....

You aren't going to find many mature players in the wider audience. It's literally 17-20 year olds who are too socially inept to spend their time outside instead of on Reddit or Minecraft. I'd know, I was one of them for a few years. And if they aren't socially inept, they're too braindead to see that sitting at a computer playing MC for a few hours every day isn't a productive way to spend free time.

You will occasionally find a semi-mature 30 year old man RP'ing as a female anime character or the uber rare married men/non-neckbeards like johndcastro or alex wright or mercymike but thsoe people aren't enough to populate this server

I know this may sound controversial but Kainzo is smart in this regard: he knows what sort of people play MC (teenagers/young adults who want to have easily accessible fun with minimal extra effort). that's why his servers are always populated.

tldr; if you want to make this change, do it lol its your server...it just doesn't sound like you know who you're marketing this thing to 

But dude we need to make changes for both RPers and PvPers for the health of the server, even though the server has always been more populated when PvP has been alive and everyone, RPers included always quit when PvP is dead. 

At the end of the day I feel like this suggestion just will end up being something people will try to apply to other things that have been solved by PvP in the past (war events etc.)

I personally believe instead of things such as this it would be a lot better if we had more events where PvP and RP have both been included, instead of forcing people to argue and fight for every event they want including both. (Wars such as the Selukk vs Aloreh war etc) 

I think the problem resulting in the PvP vs RP mindset is that whenever people who tend to PvP a lot have tried to do things such as these War events and stuff, they have (in the past) had to argue with staff non-stop and its so hard to accomplish its never worth the effort. 

• Like 2