Updates
  • ⛏️
  • Read the Official Lore Changelog
  • ⛏️
  • Read our Getting Started Guide!
  • ⛏️
  • Support our PMC forum thread by giving us an emerald! :)
  • ⛏️
  • Read up on how towns will work!
  • ⛏️
Sellt

Sellt’s Diary 08/15/2017

Hello Atherys! 

I'm back from holiday! (which, btw. was fantastic! literally!, Orcs, Magic, Undead, Elfs and War!)

And now back to work for Horizons, which is progressing slowly but steady. So lets recap where we are right now:

1. Map

The Horizons Map is still a work in progress (a test of the Gennaian Isles can be found here: Map Topic). The map maker has been working tirelessly to create countless assets ( no, seriously, we got him to count them up, it’s crazy the amount he’s actually created thus far ). Anything from trees and mushrooms to rocks and crystals. You already know, of course, that we plan to use the Conquest Reforged mod. The Horizons map will utilize the new blocks to create truly breathtaking landscapes.

For Some pics i would suggest to check out our Twitter which is regularly updated: https://twitter.com/AtherysHorizons

Also you can join our build-server build.atherys.com to see what others are working on for Horizons and/or plan your own stuff! 

2. Internal Coded Plugins/Mods

AtherysTowns

Plots. Gone are the days of having to deal with pre-determined chunks of the world. The new Towns plugin does not operate using standard 16x16 plots of land. Instead, each plot is an independently defined rectangular bit of land, with some caveats. Minimum size and maximum area requirements will be imposed. This is primarily to prevent the claiming of extreme shapes such as a 1x256 plot or a 1x1 plot. Obviously, these sorts of claims would be malicious or utterly inefficient, which is why the plugin would prevent them.

This Plugin is basically finished and ready to go (but we want to add some more nifty stuff like automated town managing to keep town members on their toes to keep it active). It has all the positives of Towny + a lot more good stuff - the bad stuff of Towny.

AtherysCombat

One hell of a Plugin head is coding here. It will be far more versatile than Heroes was and its visual representation will also make it much easier to use. A lot of it is finished and head is now working on the database for it. I think he has a lot of fun with that part.

Quests & PvE

The Quest team has evaluated several Quest and Mob mods and settled for BetterQuesting and and CustomNPC. They are "training" on both and working on a unique Quest experience. If you ever visited the Baile in Aloreh you know that we have some talented Quest writes, and with these Mods i know they will do some truly amazing stuff. CustomNPC also allows for some very different Mobs for you to fight which will stalk the Shattered Lands. 

Mounts

We are also working on custom Mounts (i posted a pic of one in an earlier diary). This work is going a bit slow because i'm not that experienced at mod making, but i still making progress. Even learning 3D modelling in Bender (fascinating stuff).

3. Lore

Here i like you to visit this post, recently made by Xathas: 

4. Your Story

This part i'm also working on personally and its going great. Sadly i can't show you much cause seeing code isn't that interesting. You will be able to see all achievements in chronological order and all the things you did in the World + add your own story parts. People will be able to see what you did in the past, including things that were one time events. Hopefully making your story unique. Additionally stats will be visible too.

5. PR

We got a bit of a reconstruction in the PR Department (see here: PR) which you should read and check out. At least follow our twitter for all the newest Infos: https://twitter.com/AtherysHorizons

6. New Gear

We have some Artists working on Textures for new Armor classes and new weapon types! In Horizons you can run around with a Mace!
This will also be part of the evil money making scheme, Some of the textures will be sold as skins in the shop (only skins. No stat changes). 

So i think this is it for today. a recap where we are right now and a promise that all is still going smoothly :) 

-Sellt

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, OlleNyman said:

foooood pls

Olle's still not had anything to eat since the last sellt's kitchen 

This is getting quite exciting. I have a few questions, they may have been asked before, but I've been rather busy to look through the forums to search the anwsers.

1. What is the total size of the entire map going to be?
  2. Is there only 5 nations to choose from, or is there 6? Is there a limit number of times you can change between them?
  3. Is there any concept plan how the economy going to be like in this new version?
  4. Are the ducks from Evo migrating to Horizons?
Edited by Atregen

5 hours ago, Atregen said:

This is getting quite exciting. I have a few questions, they may have been asked before, but I've been rather busy to look through the forums to search the anwsers.

2. Is there only 5 nations to choose from, or is there 6? Is there a limit number of times you can change between them?
  3. Is there any concept plan how the economy going to be like in this new version?

4. Every single one. Nobody gets left behind

large.gif 

• Like 2

On 8/15/2017 at 10:06 PM, Atregen said:

1. Not quite sure, but there will be a reduced ocean size as has been requested before. The nations are still fairly large.

2. 5 to choose from, and one unplayable nation.

3. There are a few concept ideas floating around, but the Econ staff will be working on that soon. Ideas and suggestions are welcome at this stage.

4. There is a literal duck block. @Dannie gone wild.

• Like 1

Actually seems interesting. Are you all going to look into arenas/actual reasons to PvP? The full loot system promotes it however you can do things to make it more integrated. Such as plugin designed war systems, mini-games(conquest) or just simple things like an elo based arena with a justifiable elo system. It makes very little sense to add a whole new PvP systems with no reasons to PvP and with no one particularly looking for it to be a big part of Horizons.

Note: Been a long time since I stopped by don't know if I will ever play or ever want to play again just trying to be constructive and help out a bit.

• Like 2

I completely agree with @HateGonzo Would like a little more incentive to PvP, open world and competitive.

Just throwing some ideas out there you can take them or leave them may as well say something while were in such early development, yes full loot is attractive but personally I'd like to see questing tie into player progression more, if anyones ever heard of Wynncraft I think they do a really good job of this, with custom armour progression from questing levelling up ect, I love grinding for loot and the best gear in MMO's and it adds more re-playability to the end game and something to do, I'm honestly sick of logging on and just running round the town aimlessly, specific pieces of loot could drop from specific custom mobs in certain areas of the map encouraging exploration?, my suggestion for this implementation however would be you do not drop amor or weapons they are bound therefore the grind actually means something as having the best amor can make you relevant in PvP for example, set bonuses I don't know if any of this is possible but I guess since were going modded I may swell throw the idea out there, however as I mentioned full loot PvP is also an incentive therefore although amor and weapons don't drop recourses do therefore anything else in a players inventory, food, building blocks ect do this would still give that incentive, plus keeping armour and weapons on death may help with the implementation of the cosmetic appearances I think you guys are getting at, where you could buy them from the store and put them on your gear, no stat changes yeah but would look cool.

Last idea is I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the Elder Scrolls Online but I personally think that PvP system is the best out there right now, perfect mix of fun, re-playability and competitiveness, they have amazing open world PvP and Arenas and I have at least 1000 hours in that game, I believe arenas could easily be implemented but obviously their open world PvP may be stretching it a bit too far, however I would kinda like to see a somewhat actual raid-able town system put into place since we're using our own town plugin, where TNT could actually serve a purpose where you could place it in a town and for example and all blocks have hit points and are temporarily destroyable then respawn when the raid is over and chests drop loot giving town raids a whole new PvP incentive and this could even change the way towns are laid out in order to protect recourses encouraging strategical play, now I know what your thinking, Factions, but I would like to see this being hard, by hard I mean no solo raider could pull this off it would require a hell of a lot of TNT and players, the destroyable things would have a large number of hitpoints for example iron doors have more hitpoints than normal doors and chests have the most hitpoints in general, iron blocks would have more hit points than wooden planks for example, saying this I am not a fan of factions I hate that plugin, the ability to loose claimed land I hate and I believe players should have a fair chance to defend whats theirs and I hate offline raiding, therefore since were implomenting our own town system there must be some way to add some sort of conditional IF statement in the code where a certain number of players must be online before a town becomes raidable and TNT can be placed, this would cater to casual and hardcore as casual small towns wouldn't have to worry about being raided because for example before a town becomes raid-able it requires 15 people say to be online just for example and to avoid PvP logging where the 15th player logs off so the town isn't raid-able since its our own plugin there might be someway to set it up so whereas as soon as the first TNT is placed the town is classed as under siege and only 15 minutes after the last TNT is placed is the town considered no longer under siege and everything respawns, this would also add the incentive for towns to try and get as many people on as possible to defend it, this feature would be aimed at the bigger towns that want to PvP. As I said just throwing these ideas out there may seem far fetched but hey we're going modded, really feel this could mix things up as if done right this feature would be the first of its kind and give Horizons a unique selling point, but they're both just Ideas not offended if anyone dislikes them, change is scary, but I feel for A'therys to continue and evolve you have to mix things up and take some risks. Just putting these ideas out there, cheers.

EDIT: I've been doing a lot of thinking about how the 2nd idea would work, I did think loosing actual loot was quite harsh and that maybe another alternative would be better like a HQ beacon had to be destroyed for example and the winning side would be given loot only obtainable via doing these raids but I though this could be easily exploited as towns could work together taking it in turns to win and loose to get the loot so I thought the only way this could work would be how I've suggested it as who wants to loose their stuff? theres not really any way to exploit that system as neither side wants to loose, also the hit points per item, I took into consideration that we are using Conquest Reforged which adds thousands of new blocks therefore I suggest all Items could have a standard hit point value of something like 2-3 testing could be done to balance all this and then other obvious stuff as mentioned iron doors, bars and blocks would have more hit points than wooden doors, fences and planks and as mentioned this would affect how the town was laid out with players creating vaults for example, also while a town is under siege no building can be done inside to ensure the attacking party actually stands a chance.

Edited by Quayley

18 hours ago, HateGonzo said:

Actually seems interesting. Are you all going to look into arenas/actual reasons to PvP? The full loot system promotes it however you can do things to make it more integrated. Such as plugin designed war systems, mini-games(conquest) or just simple things like an elo based arena with a justifiable elo system. It makes very little sense to add a whole new PvP systems with no reasons to PvP and with no one particularly looking for it to be a big part of Horizons.

Note: Been a long time since I stopped by don't know if I will ever play or ever want to play again just trying to be constructive and help out a bit.

Yes there is a PVP system in place. I just didn't talk about it in this diary because not much has changed there. I talked about it in the earlier diaries and in the Horizons Announcement post :) (Basically the 6th nation, shattered lands, will be a pvp zone with conquest, raids, quests, dungeons, high end materials (so people need to go there and need to be prepared to fight))

13 hours ago, StubbiestPeak75 said:

is there gonna be a new pirates guild? 

Not as it was. Guilds will be a player thing. If you want to Start a Guild then just do it. Organize etc. But it won't be its own little nation anymore.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Quayley said:

I completely agree with @HateGonzo Would like a little more incentive to PvP, open world and competitive.

Just throwing some ideas out there you can take them or leave them may as well say something while were in such early development, yes full loot is attractive but personally I'd like to see questing tie into player progression more, if anyones ever heard of Wynncraft I think they do a really good job of this, with custom armour progression from questing levelling up ect, I love grinding for loot and the best gear in MMO's and it adds more re-playability to the end game and something to do, I'm honestly sick of logging on and just running round the town aimlessly, specific pieces of loot could drop from specific custom mobs in certain areas of the map encouraging exploration?, my suggestion for this implementation however would be you do not drop amor or weapons they are bound therefore the grind actually means something as having the best amor can make you relevant in PvP for example, set bonuses I don't know if any of this is possible but I guess since were going modded I may swell throw the idea out there, however as I mentioned full loot PvP is also an incentive therefore although amor and weapons don't drop recourses do therefore anything else in a players inventory, food, building blocks ect do this would still give that incentive, plus keeping armour and weapons on death may help with the implementation of the cosmetic appearances I think you guys are getting at, where you could buy them from the store and put them on your gear, no stat changes yeah but would look cool.

Last idea is I'm not sure if anyone is familiar with the Elder Scrolls Online but I personally think that PvP system is the best out there right now, perfect mix of fun, re-playability and competitiveness, they have amazing open world PvP and Arenas and I have at least 1000 hours in that game, I believe arenas could easily be implemented but obviously their open world PvP may be stretching it a bit too far, however I would kinda like to see a somewhat actual raid-able town system put into place since we're using our own town plugin, where TNT could actually serve a purpose where you could place it in a town and for example and all blocks have hit points and are temporarily destroyable then respawn when the raid is over and chests drop loot giving town raids a whole new PvP incentive and this could even change the way towns are laid out in order to protect recourses encouraging strategical play, now I know what your thinking, Factions, but I would like to see this being hard, by hard I mean no solo raider could pull this off it would require a hell of a lot of TNT and players, the destroyable things would have a large number of hitpoints for example iron doors have more hitpoints than normal doors and chests have the most hitpoints in general, iron blocks would have more hit points than wooden planks for example, saying this I am not a fan of factions I hate that plugin, the ability to loose claimed land I hate and I believe players should have a fair chance to defend whats theirs and I hate offline raiding, therefore since were implomenting our own town system there must be some way to add some sort of conditional IF statement in the code where a certain number of players must be online before a town becomes raidable and TNT can be placed, this would cater to casual and hardcore as casual small towns wouldn't have to worry about being raided because for example before a town becomes raid-able it requires 15 people say to be online just for example and to avoid PvP logging where the 15th player logs off so the town isn't raid-able since its our own plugin there might be someway to set it up so whereas as soon as the first TNT is placed the town is classed as under siege and only 15 minutes after the last TNT is placed is the town considered no longer under siege and everything respawns, this would also add the incentive for towns to try and get as many people on as possible to defend it, this feature would be aimed at the bigger towns that want to PvP. As I said just throwing these ideas out there may seem far fetched but hey we're going modded, really feel this could mix things up as if done right this feature would be the first of its kind and give Horizons a unique selling point, but they're both just Ideas not offended if anyone dislikes them, change is scary, but I feel for A'therys to continue and evolve you have to mix things up and take some risks. Just putting these ideas out there, cheers.

EDIT: I've been doing a lot of thinking about how the 2nd idea would work, I did think loosing actual loot was quite harsh and that maybe another alternative would be better like a HQ beacon had to be destroyed for example and the winning side would be given loot only obtainable via doing these raids but I though this could be easily exploited as towns could work together taking it in turns to win and loose to get the loot so I thought the only way this could work would be how I've suggested it as who wants to loose their stuff? theres not really any way to exploit that system as neither side wants to loose, also the hit points per item, I took into consideration that we are using Conquest Reforged which adds thousands of new blocks therefore I suggest all Items could have a standard hit point value of something like 2-3 testing could be done to balance all this and then other obvious stuff as mentioned iron doors, bars and blocks would have more hit points than wooden doors, fences and planks and as mentioned this would affect how the town was laid out with players creating vaults for example, also while a town is under siege no building can be done inside to ensure the attacking party actually stands a chance.

Your second idea. We actually doing something similar. Instead of towns with this we will have Nation Outposts than can be raided for loot and "points" (fame, reputation... still looking for the right word. You will be able to buy unique stuff with this) that you then steal from that nation to add to yours. In my imagination i see a troops attacking via foot and Airships coming in from above to raid such an outpost.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/18/2017 at 5:40 AM, Sellt said:

Nation Outposts than can be raided for loot and "points" (fame, reputation... still looking for the right word. You will be able to buy unique stuff with this) that you then steal from that nation to add to yours. In my imagination i see a troops attacking via foot and Airships coming in from above to raid such an outpost.

Maybe you're thinking of "prestige" or "renoun"?

Kinda an old player and haven't played since v2 so I doubt anyone remembers me ? I like what the new management has been doing recently, their ideas are great! I hope this server will return to be very populous again. Plan on seeing me this next go round.

I have some ideas for the economy I would like to contribute. 

I don't know if there has been anything said about how automated buying/selling shops will be done but I know that is something I really liked about the previous versions of the server. Whether it be by chest shop/npc etc... They are important because by selling raw materials to admin shops for terrible rates is how many people make money in beginning of the server. You have to becareful with this though, too high of a buying price and you have mass inflation (easy money) and too low of a selling price will discourage player ran businesses. A selling price on an admin shop should act as price ceiling, guaranteeing the supply of an item so we can build with it but also protecting its value because you should beable to get it cheaper from a player.

I think there should also be multiple cash "sinks" to pour our money into once we become fat cats so there won't be players who just sit on their money. This could be done by the selling of special points you mentioned to get unique items. That would give a chance for the non-pvpers to also obtain these items.

Towns and plots for money is another good cash sink that I think is already part of the server plan. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this..

Perhaps a semi-mandatory tax that is voluntarily paid to the governing party that gives rewards unique to each nation.. for example for the gennaian islands to stay as a legitimate ruler of a kingdom you have to pay a certain amount.. say monthly, if not you will be declared illegitimate and can be overthrown and replaced by someone. How transition of power is decided should also tie in with the nations customs and lore. This would add alot of flavor to the game,  keep those in power acountable and make rp fluid thus every player feels like they too can be king one day if they play their cards right. 

I realize alot of this would have to be overseen/enforced by an admin but since we are going modded It would be cool to have an (in) place auction system. Not to be mistaken for a global auction system, those are abused because they can be used to transport large amounts of resources across large distances.. What I mean is one that is assigned to a specific area such a capital or trading post that is nation specific. Ideally if a nation is at war with someone an enemy player shouldn't beable to trade there. I think early v1 there was a system like this in place. 

To help give rise to a banking system ran by players and encourage pvp,  when you die you risk losing a random roll of 5%-25% of your money. Players would need to store money either in their towns or give it to trusted individuals on the server. 

These are just some ideas I had off the top of my head I hope they were helpful and if anyone would want to add something to them go ahead 

Edited by Furia Kastellon
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/24/2017 at 6:22 PM, Furia Kastellon said:

I don't know if there has been anything said about how automated buying/selling shops will be done but I know that is something I really liked about the previous versions of the server. Whether it be by chest shop/npc etc... They are important because by selling raw materials to admin shops for terrible rates is how many people make money in beginning of the server. You have to becareful with this though, too high of a buying price and you have mass inflation (easy money) and too low of a selling price will discourage player ran businesses. A selling price on an admin shop should act as price ceiling, guaranteeing the supply of an item so we can build with it but also protecting its value because you should beable to get it cheaper from a player.

When admin shops were proposed, the idea was to have a guaranteed source of items at an outrageous rate. In other words, if you REALLY needed an item, you could pay out of your nose to get it. However, the price would be so high that you're probably best off looking for a player who is selling it.

The price for selling to the shop on the other hand was to be pennies compared to the real worth of that item. You would literally have to want to lose money by selling to the shops instead of to other players.

On paper this was going to encourage all but the most common items being publicly traded and markets to spring up, having a vast price range for each item to compete with each other in.

Unfortunately, the idea was rushed and whoever set up shops took this to mean all items needed a super small range of prices that gave good sale prices and cheap buy prices. This ruined any semblance of competition and markets became pointless. Within weeks people had amassed tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of yora. Comparatively, in v2 we had months and months before those thresholds were hit. The million yora mark wasn't broken until near the end of v2. We attempted to fix this by removing admin shops but the damage had already been done. I hope that we avoid the use of admin shops in Horizons and instead introduce a healthy way of obtaining each item. Having numerous other ways to introduce money into the economy on top of this should strike a nice balance. The exact details haven't been hammered out yet, but that's what I'm hoping for and I know Chronus is as well.

As for towns, there will be unique ways of obtaining deeds and different ways of upkeep, details of which will come later.

Finally, we have discussed something similar to your last point about money drops but those are just ideas on paper at this point.

• Like 1

The freer the market the freer the people :P I don't believe that anything should dictate the price of an item unless it is the consumer, producer, and buyer bargaining power! NO SOCIALISM, NO COMMUNISM; FREE MARKETS FOR ALL; YOU CAN HAVE THE POWER BY DICTATING THE PRICE YOURSELF! THAT IS WHAT CREATES COMPETITION AND GETS YOU VALUE FOR MONEY! 

#conservatism #toryism #freemarkets #theresamay #fieldofwheatmemesfornaughtyteens

18 hours ago, redninja685 said:

The freer the market the freer the people :P I don't believe that anything should dictate the price of an item unless it is the consumer, producer, and buyer bargaining power! NO SOCIALISM, NO COMMUNISM; FREE MARKETS FOR ALL; YOU CAN HAVE THE POWER BY DICTATING THE PRICE YOURSELF! THAT IS WHAT CREATES COMPETITION AND GETS YOU VALUE FOR MONEY! 

#conservatism #toryism #freemarkets #theresamay #fieldofwheatmemesfornaughtyteens

yes

20 hours ago, redninja685 said:

yes

May I highly recommend that when viewing the map, you seek out every nook and cranny to make sure that the abundance of models to render aren't an issue. (IE: Microblocks mod and such causing huge spikes because of shadows and models to render)
Also it would be wise to avoid using layers as much as it was used in vrovona since skills that place down blocks kind of dont really work well with layers.

33 minutes ago, Broken_Astorite said:

May I highly recommend that when viewing the map, you seek out every nook and cranny to make sure that the abundance of models to render aren't an issue. (IE: Microblocks mod and such causing huge spikes because of shadows and models to render)
Also it would be wise to avoid using layers as much as it was used in vrovona since skills that place down blocks kind of dont really work well with layers.

We will try and layers are a major part of conquest we can't ignore, on top of that we will not be using heroes but likely a custom pvp plugin made in house. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, redninja685 said:

We will try and layers are a major part of conquest we can't ignore, on top of that we will not be using heroes but likely a custom pvp plugin made in house. 

1486316196713.gif

• Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 10:29 PM, Quayley said:

keeping armour and weapons on death

Keeping armor and weapons on death will actually ruin pvp, and restrict access to economy for pure pvp players.

While i agree with you at the point that it would be nice to have some rewarding crafting/loot system (d2lod runes/path of exile anyone?), PVE can actually keep even small playerbase active for a long period of time, since there is still "something to kill", Players should also still use brain to deceide whenever to carry the rare item into the battle.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NeumimTo said:

Keeping armor and weapons on death will actually ruin pvp, and restrict access to economy for pure pvp players.

While i agree with you at the point that it would be nice to have some rewarding crafting/loot system (d2lod runes/path of exile anyone?), PVE can actually keep even small playerbase active for a long period of time, since there is still "something to kill", Players should also still use brain to deceide whenever to carry the rare item into the battle.

Don't exaggerate. Nobody has any idea what effect keeping any amount of your items on death would have on the economy. Hell, we're talking about an economy that doesn't even exist yet, and frankly, one which needs a drastically different approach as clearly proven by the insufficient economies of late V2 and Evo.

We have no yet discussed which items are going to be kept on death, or if any will be kept at all. But discarding that possibility with an excuse as irrelevant as "oh but it might ruin the economy" is self-defeating and limits us unnecessarily.

From a game design perspective, I believe there is a hierarchy that needs to be followed in the making of gameplay decisions. PvP is a primary gameplay element, and is therefore higher priority than the economy, which would be secondary or even tertiary, after town management. First we need to finalize the PvP experience, then we can think about the economy.

• Like 1

And as for keeping your items in PvP, I see nothing but benefits, and that's entirely my opinion. God forbid people don't have to worry about losing their armor. After all, if we have a decent loot system, with good items, people will actually care about what they have in their inventories. And if they lose them on death, who in their right mind would ever go into combat with their best gear? I mean, have you experienced PvP in Minecraft? The chance you die is always higher than the chance you live. So why take the risk? Removing the risk encourages players to instead pick armor which best compliments their class, and always feel comfortable taking that gear into combat.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HaedHutner said:

And as for keeping your items in PvP, I see nothing but benefits, and that's entirely my opinion. God forbid people don't have to worry about losing their armor. After all, if we have a decent loot system, with good items, people will actually care about what they have in their inventories. And if they lose them on death, who in their right mind would ever go into combat with their best gear? I mean, have you experienced PvP in Minecraft? The chance you die is always higher than the chance you live. So why take the risk? Removing the risk encourages players to instead pick armor which best compliments their class, and always feel comfortable taking that gear into combat.

To some extent there must be risk, otherwise there is no circulation of rare items beyond regular trading, and that can often not happen. One of my econ proposals is a system where you select 3 items not to drop on death, and the rest are fair game - if this is possible it still forces you to make a choice, and take a loss if you do die. But it mitigates the whole "stick rare items into a chest and never look at them again" problem.

8 hours ago, Dani said:

To some extent there must be risk, otherwise there is no circulation of rare items beyond regular trading, and that can often not happen. One of my econ proposals is a system where you select 3 items not to drop on death, and the rest are fair game - if this is possible it still forces you to make a choice, and take a loss if you do die. But it mitigates the whole "stick rare items into a chest and never look at them again" problem.

And have you considered that keeping items on death may actually increase the trade of weapons and armour?

Think of it like this. You go out, you kill your mobs, do your dungeons, get your epic gear. Because we balanced the drop rates properly, truly good gear is hard to come by and therefore quite valuable. You look through your drops, and pick out only the ones which are better than your current gear, so you can use it at all times since you won't drop it on death. The rest, the gear you replaced and the stuff that dropped but you didn't need, is useless to you. Why keep it? It's not like you'll lose your current gear. You probably already have a backup set in case your current one breaks before you repair it. So, off you go to trade chat, or an auction house, or a busy market or what have you to trade it. Of course, this presumes there is an easy way to trade your items with other players.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HaedHutner said:

And have you considered that keeping items on death may actually increase the trade of weapons and armour?

Think of it like this. You go out, you kill your mobs, do your dungeons, get your epic gear. Because we balanced the drop rates properly, truly good gear is hard to come by and therefore quite valuable. You look through your drops, and pick out only the ones which are better than your current gear, so you can use it at all times since you won't drop it on death. The rest, the gear you replaced and the stuff that dropped but you didn't need, is useless to you. Why keep it? It's not like you'll lose your current gear. You probably already have a backup set in case your current one breaks before you repair it. So, off you go to trade chat, or an auction house, or a busy market or what have you to trade it. Of course, this presumes there is an easy way to trade your items with other players.

I have considered it and I don't believe a full inventory keep on death would be worth the potential increase in trade as you've described it.

Remember that towns will be more encouraged to retain and create communities for new players - second hand goods will not be useless on a personal level. You can always give hand-me-down's to your townies. There also needs to be a bit of immediate gratification to PvP - picking up one or two potentially good pieces of gear is a good incentive for organized pvp. As much as the other methods we have planned encourage this too, players like the thrill of risk.

I believe choosing 3 items not to drop is a good balance - here's why. Say you have 4 great pieces of armor and a good sword. That's 5 items. Choosing which 3 to keep gives a tactical element to fight preparation. You can choose your helmet, your god-tier chestplate, and your unique dungeon sword. But that leaves your boots and your leggings at risk of being dropped. Do you choose your weaker gear for those slots then, and lower your chance of winning the fight? Do you go all out and potentially lose them? Maybe you carry a scroll of capital teleportation, which you've worked hard for. You've suddenly got a slot less for combat.

But you do lose the fight, and now you've lost 2 (or more) great items. Damn. But you've still kept the items most important to you, they've taken some damage, but more importantly they've been USED. And now you have a reason to go back to the dungeon or conquest point to grind for replacements. That is a factor that you don't want to discourage. Getting 5 god tier items removes your desire to ever go back to the Shattered Lands for at least a month or so, which we don't want.

The other thing to remember is that without item drop on death, players can use this to transport large quantities of items - fill your inventory thousands of blocks away, hop into a a lava pit, bam, instant transportation. Of course that is a minor concern that can be eliminated by tweaking. But I still strongly think a balance that forces you to choose checks all the boxes.

• Like 1