Updates
  • ❄️
  • Read the Official Lore Changelog
  • ❄️
  • Read our Getting Started Guide!
  • ❄️
  • Support our PMC forum thread by giving us an emerald! :)
  • ❄️
  • Read up on how towns will work!
  • ❄️
Sellt

Sellt's Diary Special - 04/02/2018

Hi Everyone,

Today, as promised we talk about armor and weapons and what we want to do with them skin wise. 

So first an overview of the tiers and materials:

Armor

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

Light

Hide

Leather

Aramid

Medium

Chainmail

Scale

Lamellar

Heavy

Plate

Crystaline

Argentate

Weapons

• List of the Weapons:
  • Dagger
  • Sword
  • Axe
  • Mace
  • Polarm
  • Staff
  • Throwing Weapons (axes, knifes etc)
  • Crossbow
  • Bow

All Weapons have the following tiers:

• Tier 1: Wood
  • Tier 1.5: Bronze
  • Tier 2: Iron
  • Tier 2.5: Steel
  • Tier 3: Crystaline
  • Tier 3.5: Argentate

Requirements for making skin packs

We need skin packs that include all armor but not technically all weapons. For weapons you can combine tier 1 and 1.5, 2 and 2.5, 3 and 3.5 into each one skin for the pack (of course if you want to differentiate even the half levels you are welcome to it.

That means a normal skin pack has skins for the following: 

• Each Armor type, in total 9
  • Each half weapon level type, in total 27 (if you want to make unique ones for the full levels too: 54)
  • Fun / RP packs can include only skins for basic armor/Weapons. Clothing for jobs, or costumes (Halloween). 

Also, a sword doesn't need to look like a normal sword. It only needs to use the same damage type (example: it can look like a Katana, rapier, etc. all using slashing damage). The same goes for the other weapon types. Some packs don't even need to entirely adhere to the listed material, for example a "nature" pack can have a bone-sword with inlaid diamonds as the tier 3.5 weapon.

Which packs do we absolutely need:

• A default one for all types of weapons included.
  • One pack for each nation (national armor and weapons)

besides these, we take all (that look somewhat good) and if fitting will be in game earn-able or via the store. You can also make, for example, an RP pack, where armor looks like the clothing of different jobs and the weapons like their jobs tools. 

I hope this is clear, if not please post your questions here (not pm or discord) so others will see the answers too.

Thank you!

- Sellt

• Like 4

How much of this is server side and client side respectively?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, raxiam said:

How much of this is server side and client side respectively?

Given the number of ranged weapons in this set, this is a pretty important aspect of pvp now

had a quick go at them, I also added a few more weapons for variation and a gun because I feel its a bit different from normal ranged weapons.

3fPsVzd.png

so in order:

dagger, sword, axe, large war-hammer, crossbow(also drawing textures below it), bow(also drawing textures below it)
poleaxe, capped staff, lance, spear
great-sword, regular war-hammer, - quiver
javelin, throwing knife, flintlock pistol, throwing axe

This is just base textures and a few of them aren't that good because I didn't spend a long time on them, the polearms would also need a model to them to make them longer when you hold them.

• Like 2

I like the tiers and weapons... just wondering, what do you mean when you say skin packs?, will it work by using nbt tags or simmilar to retexture an item? or will each weapon and armor piece be implemented individually , eg in the creative mode menu? Also, would it be possible to add more shields , for example 2 designs for each nation with aditional 'special' shields' like a wood board with a handle on...

for some variety?

Edited by Blocks119

This server has become Mount & Blade: Minerlord, and it's almost harvesting season.

How are crossbows going to be handled? I'm assuming they're going to be more damage with a longer reload time, so people using crossbows would shoot, then switch to a other weapon for melee when the other player closes in. Or, are they just going to be a re-skin bow for one of the packs?

Also, is there any plans on adding in horse-oriented classes, or use of shields (not doors) in the new Hero System?

15 minutes ago, Kurgis said:

This server has become Mount & Blade: Minerlord, and it's almost harvesting season.

How are crossbows going to be handled? I'm assuming they're going to be more damage with a longer reload time, so people using crossbows would shoot, then switch to a other weapon for melee when the other player closes in. Or, are they just going to be a re-skin bow for one of the packs?

Also, is there any plans on adding in horse-oriented classes, or use of shields (not doors) in the new Hero System?

17 hours ago, breakneckelement said:

No guns for kilnholdt? Or will our national weapon just be a retextured crossbow?

They're just retextured bows, so no differences in load times or knock-back assumedly. But probably different damage types given that haed came up with something, though I wouldn't put so much blind faith into development power. Be wary of getting hyped for something that when is delivered is either half-baked or something completely different.

Also I'm sure they were saying that mounts will be a purchasable thing. Unsure about how accurate that is.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2018 at 11:55 AM, Blocks119 said:

I like the tiers and weapons... just wondering, what do you mean when you say skin packs?, will it work by using nbt tags or simmilar to retexture an item? or will each weapon and armor piece be implemented individually , eg in the creative mode menu? Also, would it be possible to add more shields , for example 2 designs for each nation with aditional 'special' shields' like a wood board with a handle on...

for some variety?

The plan is for various found gear for dungeons, in-nation special looks, and craftable gear. In addition, we plan to have "skin overlays", which take an item's properties and give it a cosmetic appearance. The cosmetic appearance will likely be store-based, but I'd like to see some show up in questing and Conquest.

On Guns & Crossbow : At the moment they can't guarantee a plugin that will work with CQ/the others we're using. They didn't want to mention it as a possibility unless we're sure. Crossbows at the moment are reskins.
   Xathas' Dream version:. Bows work as is. Crossbows work by their "draw" locking the arrow into a fire position and fire with left click; Guns fire instantly but rely on powder in addition to ammo - and bullets don't have a consistent firing curve/line.

On 06/02/2018 at 11:37 PM, Foe said:

They're just retextured bows, so no differences in load times or knock-back assumedly. But probably different damage types given that haed came up with something, though I wouldn't put so much blind faith into development power. Be wary of getting hyped for something that when is delivered is either half-baked or something completely different.

Also I'm sure they were saying that mounts will be a purchasable thing. Unsure about how accurate that is.

It's not hard to change the drawback time of a weapon, especially a custom-made one. If crossbows were just re-skinned bows, I'm sure Had wouldn't bother making them.

"The plan is for various found gear for dungeons, in-nation special looks, and craftable gear. In addition, we plan to have "skin overlays", which take an item's properties and give it a cosmetic appearance. The cosmetic appearance will likely be store-based, but I'd like to see some show up in questing and Conquest." yes, but how are the textures applied? by recourse pack? by adding entirely new items with new data values?

Any plans for a rifle of sorts? I imagine even with Kilnholdt's tech level and they wouldn't be much more than the first crude rifles (arquebus). @Xathas (Example in the spoiler.) I can imagine a weapon with recoil that actually knocks you back a few blocks, terrible accuracy, and long reload, but high damage.

Spoiler

5a7ca28f8906b_Screenshot2018-02-08at1_18_03PM.png.5004dbb4aa4d870593b5a946bea3cce6.png

Edited by Henneke von Obrok

Small update from my side.

Started looking up imagery and references by request; and found out that "Silverweave" is Elder Scrolls lore. Have replaced the term with Aramid; which is a classification of high-density, heat-resistant fibers (kevlar is one example of an Aramid)

Heya. Cool stuffs. Here's a few remarks tho;

Crystalline and Argentate armor; what does that even mean? Crystal makes for very poor armor and weapons, to be fair. Also, what is Argentate? A made up substance?
Further; aramid requires some serious technological know-how. Doesn't really fit a medieval setting O.o
If I can be so forward as to suggest the following:

Tier 1

Tier 2

Tier 3

Light

Hide

Leather

Boiled Leather

Medium

Gambeson

Scale

Splinted or Lamellar

Heavy

Chainmail

Plate Armor

Whatever alloy or substance you
use for the last tier of weapons.

• Tier 1:       Wood
  • Tier 1.5:    Stone
  • Tier 2:       Bronze
  • Tier 2.5:    Iron
  • Tier 3:       Steel
  • Tier 3.5:    (Honestly, there are almost no materials better suited to make a weapon than steel. Better swords are usually made by better techniques. However, diamond edges or Titanium composites could theoretically make stronger swords.)

This is, of course, if you want to keep it close to the realm of realism. My suggestions here are not sacrosanct; not by any stretch of the imagination.

Hopefully this was a bit helpful. If you need an extra set of eyes or a brain to pick, I'm more than willing to help!

(Edit: small typo that I saw; It's polearm, not polarm ^^)

Edited by Kreaden

You guys gonna be so tight when atherys completes when minecraft 2 releases.