Updates
  • ❄️
  • Read the Official Lore Changelog
  • ❄️
  • Read our Getting Started Guide!
  • ❄️
  • Support our PMC forum thread by giving us an emerald! :)
  • ❄️
  • Read up on how towns will work!
  • ❄️
Sellt

Sellt's Diary 07/04/2018

Hello A'therys!

It has been some time since we've updated you on what has been going on in the development of A'therys. Fear not, that doesn't mean that we've slowed down - it means the opposite. A number of things have been done these past few weeks from coding to building. Our custom quest plugin is being developed and will offer us some fun opportunities to let you interact with the world and learn about the new nations.

Speaking of new nations, work on the capitals continues with Seten-Nan, capital of the harsh and desolate Dalkun-Tir.

Seten-in-progress.png

Our Lore Team is also still working on some of the finer details of the nations, and as such if you are interested in forming parts of the nation of your choice, maybe hit the lore team up in discord and start a friendly talk! Maybe your ideas will end up in the game!

Additionally I thought maybe I should write a bit about what I personally was working on and what will give you a bit more insight into the nations, the map and what kind of terrain you may expect to find. You probably already know that the Gennaian Isles are, surprise, Islands. Imagine Mediterranean islands and you got a pretty good picture of them. Further to the east one will find Daidama, with an icy north, stony highlands and further down jungles and a region inspired by the Tianzi Mountains of China.

South of Daidama we get to a dryer region, Dalkun-Tir. A nation filled with Savanna, Mesa land (inspired by Monument Valley), Canyon and a smaller Desert (far smaller than Ar-Selukk’s Desert). Both Nations, Daidama and Dalkun-Tir share the same river (which also connects the capitals) and which will be around 6.5km long. So look forward to some epic boat races!

Even further down we find Atvoria, a land shaped by magical stories. The epitome of the default fantasy land we all know from somewhere. Included are a swamp like region, mountains, large grassy plains, sharp rock formations and even a mushroom forest with flying rocks.

A bit apart from these nations to the south west we get Kilnholdt. While parts of it are inspired by Scotland we also get a huge terraced Mountain region on the main island that, in my opinion at least, looks stunning. Coming from the lowlands to the road up to the capital will be a wonderful sight.

Additionally the cave system has been slightly changed from evo to get a more epic feeling, deeper caves, some bigger ones that would be big enough to hold w whole town and even underground rivers.

If you follow me on twitter you may see one or the other region in WIP pictures I sometimes post ;) https://twitter.com/Selltos

Today we also have a special request for you. A'therys Horizons has always been a passion project for us, and our team is small but dedicated. The size of our team means that while we are working away regularly, we rely on time voluntarily donated by our contributors. During this time, we have certain upkeep costs that we will always pay to keep the servers running and our website up. We've identified a few ways where additional funds could help alleviate those costs and allow us to divert resources to getting Horizons completed faster. Horizons will be completed, with or without donations, but contributing to our upkeep will help speed things up. If you are interested in helping us out, we have started up a Patreon page:

https://www.patreon.com/atherys/overview

And if you think you can build and want to help us in that regard please follow this link and join our great build team!

https://atherys.typeform.com/to/kVygUS

We hope to see you around! Keep an eye on the website and discord for future updates!

"Kilden glory! -- No matter the cost!" - Kilden War Cry

• Like 11

It is nice to see an update on the server's progress, on July 4th of all days it's a pleasant surprise to end the night. I had some fears over how the direction of the world-building was going to go, far as geography is concerned. I was worried with the new map we've might of seen the return of more homogeneous environments, and this diary entry has put those fears to rest. Hearing about how nations such as Daidama will contain such a diverse environment brings excitement with how the world may better come together as a whole. Minecraft has come a long way with new biomes since V1 of A'thery's Ascended, I'm interested to see how biomes will be once the server is released. That does not include of course what can be done with these using Conquest Survival, which I'm sure will add much to the server. Now the underground generation update caught me by surprise, for a long time focus has been above-ground, even for Minecraft updates. Seeing that you have taken the cave system into account for this project really shows me the thought put into map, and to see a return towards the old cave generation which Mojang removed in favor of smaller cave systems. This has made me a bit giddy about just what's going on behind the scenes.

I do have a few questions I'd like to ask about how the capitols are being built, and the world we will be playing in in-itself. Back in both V2, and Evo, the nations capitols really did express their nations, but I'd say it begun to feel flat once a player began to explore, and realize that grand structures were simply hollowed out shells acting as props. So that bring context to my question, how are you going to handle that issue for the new nation capitols, or at least mitigate it? With World Generation, I've noticed in your Twitter Feed that you had palettes for certain biomes you wanted to create, and it appeared to me that those were used to create them in-game. So are you using a World Generator to create these custom environs, or are they being hand-made in a map with the assistance of world editing tools? Additionally, what has so far been your favorite thing working towards Horizons, and what are you looking forward to working on; this question is directed at @Sellt, but I'd love to also hear from the rest on the Build Team as well.

Looking forward to it, for Kilden Glory.

Edited by Kurgis

On 7/5/2018 at 3:44 AM, Kurgis said:

It is nice to see an update on the server's progress, on July 4th of all days it's a pleasant surprise to end the night. I had some fears over how the direction of the world-building was going to go, far as geography is concerned. I was worried with the new map we've might of seen the return of more homogeneous environments, and this diary entry has put those fears to rest. Hearing about how nations such as Daidama will contain such a diverse environment brings excitement with how the world may better come together as a whole. Minecraft has come a long way with new biomes since V1 of A'thery's Ascended, I'm interested to see how biomes will be once the server is released. That does not include of course what can be done with these using Conquest Survival, which I'm sure will add much to the server. Now the underground generation update caught me by surprise, for a long time focus has been above-ground, even for Minecraft updates. Seeing that you have taken the cave system into account for this project really shows me the thought put into map, and to see a return towards the old cave generation which Mojang removed in favor of smaller cave systems. This has made me a bit giddy about just what's going on behind the scenes.

I do have a few questions I'd like to ask about how the capitols are being built, and the world we will be playing in in-itself. Back in both V2, and Evo, the nations capitols really did express their nations, but I'd say it begun to feel flat once a player began to explore, and realize that grand structures were simply hollowed out shells acting as props. So that bring context to my question, how are you going to handle that issue for the new nation capitols, or at least mitigate it? With World Generation, I've noticed in your Twitter Feed that you had palettes for certain biomes you wanted to create, and it appeared to me that those were used to create them in-game. So are you using a World Generator to create these custom environs, or are they being hand-made in a map with the assistance of world editing tools? Additionally, what has so far been your favorite thing working towards Horizons, and what are you looking forward to working on; this question is directed at @Sellt, but I'd love to also hear from the rest on the Build Team as well.

Looking forward to it, for Kilden Glory.

The capitals themselves are being built organically. What that means is that so far, most buildings have a purpose and are not empty shells (unless we've determined them to need to be that for certain reasons). @Tristan_vr could chime in here on how exactly we plan cities nowadays. Remember, capitals are now going to be livable hubs for new players (and old players if they so choose) and this means we couldn't just do the "pretty looking but empty" thing from previous versions. 

For me, just as a builder in general the fun has been in seeing the continent come to life. Adding little secrets for players to find in the capitals or wilderness, etc.

@Kurgis

@Dani's description of the capitals being built "Organically" is probably the best way to describe it. We start with determining what and where the most important buildings of the city are, and why they are at those spots. The history and direction of growth of the city is also taken into account, as are the different lifestyles/incomes/habits of the people that live in them (Farmhouses on the outskirts of a town having less fancy versions or less interior decorations for example). The density of detail Conquest Reforged allows for is amazing, and allows us to make the buildings/streets feel lived in and used. 

but I'd say it begun to feel flat once a player began to explore, and realize that grand structures were simply hollowed out shells acting as props.

Back in Ascended I used to refer to "Capital Syndrome" whenever someone made a useless/empty building in our town. This is definitely not happening for Horizons, the team is really enthusiastic about all buildings having a purpose and we're trying to make everything feel as grounded as possible in universe. The buildings with purposes {that wouldn't explicitly be used by players} are amazing for integrating quests into the city's as well.

Also, there's a lot of secrets and jokes we cant wait for players to find 😄

On 7/5/2018 at 3:44 AM, Kurgis said:

About the Capitals. These will actually be the newbie towns. Meaning players will start there, will get "trained" in atherys and will live there for a while until they move to a player controlled town. That alone should already give the Capitals more live. If you mean empty buildings with hollowed out shells, i can tell you that the build team is filling them all up with interior designs. From shops to homes to warehouses, bathhouses, taverns, schools, government buildings, all that a city needs to survive :D

My map making process involved WorldMachine and now working with Worldpainter to do some detail work and add custom terrain palettes. So a lot is from a generator but its a directed generator that did what i wanted + some detail work by hand. 

Honestly, when i started on the map myself it was mostly out of necessity, but in a short time i became really exited about it and its a ton of fun to do this and i cannot wait to see player interact with this environment and hopefully find joy in it too :D But the whole project makes almost every day better for me, to know that i can work with such dedicated and wonderful people on what is basically a dream project for me (i guess there are a lot of people who dream about making their own game, so i see myself as blessed that i got this chance).

On 7/5/2018 at 11:53 PM, MisChiv said:

Whats up with the peeveepee?

Head is working hard o nthe pvp plugin, and we will have a ton of mechanics to make it fun for PVPers and hopefully to lessen the divide between pvpers and non-pvpers. From what we will implement you will have a lot more chance to engage in PvP than ever before in Atherys. 

A couple of buildings in the old capitals were copy-pasted in atleast 2-3 times of the same building and that's also a thing we haven't done so all the houses/buildings we have in the capitals (or in the nation) are unique which makes the capitals more special.