Live Updates

We are currently updating our website to the latest IPB version - please be patient whilst we update the A'therys theme to work with this.  Some areas of our website may look distorted, please don't panic, this will be rectified.

OccidentalAnvil

An Update From Your Loremaster

Hey there everyone! OccidentalAnvil here, maybe a fresh face for some of you newcomers, welcome by the way! Been awhile since I've shown up in the News section; last time was probably over a year ago with the Summer Rime. Well, I figured that's been long enough, particularly with the whole "check back soon" emblem spinning on in the Official Lore part of our lovely new site. I wanted to come tell you guys what's been going on in my neck of the woods in brief, then get to the actual news so I'm not off-topic. So let's have a chat, shall we?

A little over a week ago, I managed to trick one of the world's top engineering schools into giving me a bachelor's degree. It was a long con, some five years, but it was worth it I'd say. Regardless, as you might imagine, with the server launching on the eve of my final exams (how we manage to do that every damn time, 3 for 3, I will never know) and my subsequent graduation, I've had significantly less time to write than I really planned. And boy, do I have plans, but we'll get to those in a minute. Anyway, I know it's a pain to play on a server that advertises heavy RP, and to try to write your own works in line with that, without having any of the official material! Trust me, it's painful and embarrassing from my perspective, especially when I had it all up on the old site. But a few months before EVO launched, I started a new project, which I've been referring to as Project Triple-A internally. You don't need to worry about that so much, other than what it means for the near term: I did not want to just release the same-old drivel from the wiki. Most of it was hopelessly ancient, just not the quality or the content I wanted you to have, and some of it was flat out wrong. It was written forever ago, and updated little by little, but with Project Triple-A I needed to tear the band-aid off. To rewrite everything, to bring the content in line with what A'therys really is now.

And so that's where I am. I'm not going to put anything on this awesome new site that isn't A'therys, the real A'therys. Obviously I will continue to tweak and adjust, but when I tell you that an awful lot has been changed and solidified, I mean it. I want to make sure that what gets posted in the Official section now will see minimal changes in the future. So I can't lie to you anymore, or keep things from you. And I damn well can't sugar-coat it so it fits all pretty with Minecraft; that's up to you guys as RPers, to take what you want and do with it as you will. A'therys has guns and swords, electricity and magic, men and gods. This may all seem scary, just writing that kinda freaked me out a little, but bear with me. Take a look when it comes down the line. I think you'll recognize A'therys immediately, just with a much more cohesive theme.

Anyway, the news. I don't want to drop all that heavy stuff on you with a wave of my hand and just disappear. First, dates: do not expect anything before the New Year, to be sure, but I'm gonna be booking it thereafter to get you your content ASAP. I am pushing for 36 pages, 6 for each nation; those needed the biggest expansion and rewrite, and I figure that content is the most important stuff to you guys right now. A lot of the content after that can actually be just updated from before, so after the first set of a paltry 36 drops the old-new stuff will hit the site reasonably fast. Way faster than my slow ass is going now. I want to say the end of January, but I also don't want to say something I'll miss; I ALSO don't want to take that long, it'd be crazy. So just pretend I said nothing and wait for more words, sound good? Good. Now, I want to show you what all this means in actual terms. It's one thing to say "lots of new, new content!" and go silent for a month. So, here.

Pre-TripleA

So that above is the old wiki content for the "Aloreh" page. It had a super sparing history, basic geography, some societal musings, and that was about it. I took out the headings to make it easier to see, there wasn't really much. Now, look below.

TripleA

Now, each nation is a category. The category will hold a page on History (which is longer than the old page was as a whole, you can see it there in the top right four images), Geography, Culture, Theology, Technology, and Government. Every page you see above was expanded to fit my current perception of Aloreh, the exact same coverage as the old page, just up to date.

I hope now you'll see what I'm going for, and why it's taking so long. That doesn't excuse it, but it should give you an idea of where we're headed. I hope you'll join me in being excited for the coming content. Anvil out.

-OA

• Like 22
9 minutes ago, michaelrotov1234 said:

Will there be a time skip regarding the lore date following end of V2? If so how many years?

From what I understand, there is no lore relevance behind the switch from v2 to Evo. That, and the system being used for dates and time is currently being redone.

15 hours ago, michaelrotov1234 said:

So essentially Evo takes place in a parallel universe with an eerily similar history?

The world we play on isn't the same world in the lore, per say. Continents are in different places, certain landmasses aren't in the map, and a lot of things in the lore cannot be accommodated by the Minecraft's mechanics. There's also a difference in various political things and what have you, nation boundaries, what nations actually exist/have broken up, etc.. For all intensive purposes though, we still roleplay as if the world in the lore is the same as the world in Minecraft.

1 hour ago, Oricalcum said:

Continents are in different places, certain landmasses aren't in the map, and a lot of things in the lore cannot be accommodated by the Minecraft's mechanics.

With the posted content for Project Triple-A, I will as I said be holding back nothing. This is the world, not the Minecraft version. I figure it'd be doing you a disservice to continue shoving the nicely blossomed square peg into the somewhat limited round hole that is our communal video game. That said, the one thing I will be having the lore inherit is the landmasses on the server. When I talk geography and directions, I'm referencing it as it is in the server. The reason for this is twofold: first, it makes zero sense to refer to Vrovona as sharing the landmass with Aloreh, and having the Daggerlands south of there, or trying to explain where Cascova is in relation to Hon'lai when the server map cannot and will never mirror these things. Second, it's super easy to retroactively fix all that if and when I get to the point where I can show you the real planet. Swap some directions, shift some border descriptions, add some features here and there. No point in stressing about it, when trying to reconcile the two would just confuse everyone. Obviously I will still be telling you all about the other nations and gods of the world, with Triple-A, but not just yet. And I'll just leave off the geography part for them (can't keep Ogoro the Weaver locked up forever), to keep it easy. I see no harm in that.

-OA

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, OccidentalAnvil said:

With the posted content for Project Triple-A, I will as I said be holding back nothing. This is the world, not the Minecraft version. I figure it'd be doing you a disservice to continue shoving the nicely blossomed square peg into the somewhat limited round hole that is our communal video game. That said, the one thing I will be having the lore inherit is the landmasses on the server. When I talk geography and directions, I'm referencing it as it is in the server. The reason for this is twofold: first, it makes zero sense to refer to Vrovona as sharing the landmass with Aloreh, and having the Daggerlands south of there, or trying to explain where Cascova is in relation to Hon'lai when the server map cannot and will never mirror these things. Second, it's super easy to retroactively fix all that if and when I get to the point where I can show you the real planet. Swap some directions, shift some border descriptions, add some features here and there. No point in stressing about it, when trying to reconcile the two would just confuse everyone. Obviously I will still be telling you all about the other nations and gods of the world, with Triple-A, but not just yet. And I'll just leave off the geography part for them (can't keep Ogoro the Weaver locked up forever), to keep it easy. I see no harm in that.

-OA

What you are saying is that the server (in-game) is based on the lore, instead of the server (in-game) as the real world?

3 minutes ago, Aelgon Verdistis said:

Can you please make ALL old pages available before you start to rewrite them? 

There is alot of stuff I want to look up, and I think its the same for many others, especially the new people.

If we have to wait for you to rewrite every piece that would be awful.

This might help for the wait, even though it will be outdated when the new lore comes out.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150611145545/http://atherys.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Aelgon Verdistis said:

There is alot of stuff I want to look up, and I think its the same for many others, especially the new people.

Or perhaps release pieces immediately after they are done instead of releasing it all in 1 go?

• Developer
13 hours ago, Aelgon Verdistis said:

All of the old lore is available on the A'therys wikia.

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Rynelf said:

All of the old lore is available on the A'therys wikia.

Not all of it to be sure (first link I clicked on went to a not-yet-written page), and of course I'm not really a big fan of that thing anyway. For the time being it serves a purpose, but once the libraries on this site kick into gear (a few weeks), it will outdated and irrelevant. We even have a player lore section now, which can be contributed to freely. I'd prefer to not have just a mirror site in public domain that clones what I write here, as that largely does, even with attribution. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

For now, let me make something clear. The first set of nation pages, 36, will release all at once when they're done. After that, the pages will release in small batches as I adjust them. Most of it does not need full rewriting, after that; some do, but it should all come fairly quick thereafter. I wanted to start it with a bang, not a whimper, and so the brand new nation pages will be the first. I will not put up the old stuff before this for the same reason I will not put anything up one at a time: this is not a wiki site. The navigation UI must be created on every single page that gets made, so it makes much more sense to do it in batches (you can make templates for the navbar, it's not hard, it's just better to do most of it at once). As it is, the library portal is just now coming together from a webpage point of view, and as such is not quite ready for one page of content, let alone two hundred.

And so, I would appreciate some patience as I grind through this. I'm not particularly pleased with how long it's taking, myself, but I've had a lot going on lately and the holiday season is not helping. I'll be back at it here SoonTM, as always.

-OA

• Like 3
  • Developer
7 hours ago, OccidentalAnvil said:

Not all of it to be sure (first link I clicked on went to a not-yet-written page), and of course I'm not really a big fan of that thing anyway. For the time being it serves a purpose, but once the libraries on this site kick into gear (a few weeks), it will outdated and irrelevant. We even have a player lore section now, which can be contributed to freely. I'd prefer to not have just a mirror site in public domain that clones what I write here, as that largely does, even with attribution. But we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

-OA

Mmm, I only posted it if someone needed a basis for things.